No 72 Squadron Association

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Meteor Information

No 72 Squadron Association
Site Owner

I have an unusual request and I hope you might be able to help me.

After many years absence I have returned to plastic modelling. I have started to model the

Gloster Meteor, in various scales, that were based at RAF Church Fenton, North

Yorkshire with various squadrons from September 1945 until June 1959.

72 Squadron were based there from May 1953 until June 1959 and, according to my

research, were one of the last UK based Meteor Squadrons. I have quite a few pictures of

72 Sqn Meteors at RAF Church Fenton but what I am looking for are personal stories

from people who were based there when the Meteors were flying. I know that the CO's

name was Maurice Shaw (was he the only CO of 72 Sqn at that time?) but I know

nothing about him or indeed any other pilots or ground crew.

Can you help me with people's stories?

A little bit about myself. I first went to RAF Church Fenton in early 1974 as a 14 year old

Air Cadet and had my flights in the venerable Chipmunk from this base. My last visit

there was on 6th December 2009, as I was taking some Air Cadets for Air Experience

Flying in the Grob Tutor. I am not a pilot but I have been a uniformed officer in the

RAFVR(T) for nearly 7 years and before that 5 years as a civilian instructor. I am

currently based with 2490 (Spen Valley) Squadron, Air Training Corps. Normally we

take cadets flying on either a Saturday or Sunday and from my house it usually takes less

than one hour. You may be aware that Church Fenton is not a permanent base any longer

but a satellite to RAF Linton-on-Ouse. Such is the change within the RAF that the only

full time RAF at Church Fenton work in the control tower. Grob Tutor pilots are RAFR

and many of them are also airline pilots. Everyone else are civilian contractors.

With each round of defence cuts I wonder how much longer they will keep Church

Fenton open.

Look forward to hearing from you.

My very best regards.

John Seed

John Seed [[email protected]]

June 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.